How Weight Training Can Help Prevent Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a bone-weakening condition, resulting in broken bones. The condition can make routine movements challenging and lead to a restricted lifestyle. But how do you prevent osteoporosis? Weight training is believed to be effective in preventing the onset of osteoporosis. Let’s see if weight training can help keep osteoporosis at bay.
How Do Weight or Strength Training Exercises Help?
Weight-bearing exercises make you move against gravity while staying upright to help increase bone density. These exercises help you increase bone density, which means they can help increase the mineral amount in the bones. You can perform weight-bearing aerobic exercises and strength exercises after a doctor’s consultation and under a fitness trainer’s guidance.
- Weight-Bearing Aerobic Exercises
These exercises restrict bone density loss and maintain stability. Some exercises within this category include stair climbing, hiking, brisk walking, jogging, dancing, etc.
- Strength Training Exercises
Strength training exercises could include weight loading to enhance muscle and bone mass and prevent bone breakage resulting from osteoporosis.
How to Start Weight Training to Prevent Osteoporosis?
Here are some generic guidelines to begin weight training to avoid the onset of osteoporosis. You should consult a doctor for specific guidance.
- Focus on the hips, back, and knees while performing weight training exercises.
- Indulge in a 12-15-minute warmup to avoid injury while exercising.
- You may warm your body up through brisk walking or aerobic exercises to increase body temperature and enhance blood flow to the muscles.
- You may use free weights or weight machines under expert guidance and help.
- Select weights heavy enough to tire your muscles.
- Increase the weights and take your muscles to a fatigue level to strengthen your muscles and bones.
- Provide your muscles enough time to rest and recover between two workout sessions. Preferably, take one whole day of rest.
Note: Reiterating, perform all your exercises under expert guidance and help to maintain the correct posture and avoid injuries.
Benefits of Weight Training Exercises to Prevent Osteoporosis
Let’s look at how weight training can prove advantageous in preventing osteoporosis.
- Strength training protects joints from injuries and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Strength training can help restore and improve muscle mass.
- Weight training can help augment bone density.
- Weight training helps increase muscle mass and improves balance.
- Overall, strength training can help enhance the quality of life.
Of course, strength training doesn’t show results in a day or two. It takes consistent efforts in the right direction to achieve optimal results. Visit us at Ranka Hospitals for a proper diagnosis and the right treatment plan. Our doctors will help you identify the right exercises and chart the right strength training plan to help you prevent osteoporosis. Call us at 020 2426 1600 to book an appointment with us.